Break ke baad break your head

Yesterday I had the misfortune of watching Break ke baad. This movie is under the Kunal Kohli banner who has directed some timeless movies such as Hum Tum. Danish Aslam, who has been the assistant director to quite a few movies that have come under banners of Yash Raj and the likes, has directed this film. Should I sympathize with him for his first effort? Well, I don’t think so because the industry has seen a few amazing starters in the recent times.

I enjoy movies. So however critical I am I don’t condemn a movie. It doesn’t come naturally to me. But with this one I was more than disappointed. Substandard direction, substandard performances and a story that had virtually nothing sums up my disappointment. The script is written by Renuka Kunzru and Danish Aslam and incidentally the screenplay has also been done by her. I wonder how long it took to write that script. One day?

The movie is about two childhood sweethearts played by Imran Khan and Deepika Padukone. The guy is very feminine and the woman is very masculine. I am not bringing my gender biases into this review. But that line offers a fair explanation as to what you are getting into. The girl wants to try new things in life and the guy is confused and is smitten by the girl. This is such a difficult concept to digest. If two people have been together for twenty years the only natural thing that can happen is the two people getting completely used to each other and this borders on the relationship being taken for granted rather than a glitter in the guy’s eyes every time he sees the girl. So the part of the soft hearted romantic guy is overplayed to a point of nausea. The woman does display her carefree wild attitude and Deepika has displayed some attempt to do justice to that role. The girl takes off and the guy follows suit after a while. This is the point in the movie where some variety is attempted. The guy now becomes a cross of Akshay Kumar in Namastey London and Imran Khan in Jaane tu ya jaane na. He decides to stay there and make her realize that they are meant to be each other I suppose. From there on follows a completely confusing and hysterical turn of events. Each one goes his own direction, the girl chasing her dreams and the guy trying to make living and doing a damn good job of it in Australia. Apparently they need a lot of “Ghar ka khana” out there. But the guy remains tear eyed and the girl, well, is confusing to say the least. She gets on with what she wants and continues to enjoy the attention she always got from her puppy love. Both decide to move on but realization strikes and the movie culminates into a typical Bollywood happy ending.

If I’ve given away most of the story here, believe me, I am saving you a lot of pain, money and energy. The story is unconvincing the way it is portrayed. The story has its strength but it has been shot ridiculously. Yudi and Shahana add to a few scenes. The only parts I enjoyed were the overtly sexist jokes of Yudi. He was funny. Shahana as a hippy, well, she is better than that. The movie is patchily done and some scenes are over dramatic and Imran fails to connect or appeal to the audience. It looks like a repeat of his Jaane tu… performance only much worse. Deepika does her bit but she looks neither pretty nor great. Sharmila Tagore plays the mother of the girl. Was she that bad with her dialogues even in her older movies? Help me out here I haven’t seen any of her movies.

What the movie did try to convey was that two people who have been together too long will eventually only come together because they are so used to each other. But there are 1271 ways of saying that. I don’t know which boy friend has a clear case of objection when his chick wants to pursue a course abroad. I mean I understand that he is not gonna like it but how can he put forth his objection? That part left me agape because to say the least I understood nothing there.

Overall Danish left much to be desired. A movie is not a couple of actors from a filmy background thrown in amongst some sidekicks and some sidey humor. A movie must be captivating and the flow should enthrall the audience. A flaw that can be noticed in these kinds of cult movies is that they don’t seem to be able to mix emotion and cool very well because I don’t know if they understand how emotions get conveyed in today’s so called fast moving world. But you better research it if that’s all your movie is going to talk about and don’t draw inspiration from Splitsvilla.

I did have one question throughout the movie; did Kunal Kohli sleep through the entire making of this movie??? Recommendation to watch – Avoid it.

Comments

Popular Posts